Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It's raining, it's pouring

It's late and I should be getting ready for bed, but I haven't posted in a while, and a lot has been going on.
On Black Friday Dan, the boys, my mom, and I went to Greenville to see family. Grandma had been over to my aunt's the day before for Thanksgiving and wasn't doing well by the time the day was over. She was weak and not feeling well, so the home put her on oxygen. On Friday when we saw her, she was still on oxygen. We decorated her room for Christmas and took her down to the large room with the piano so Isaiah could play some of his piano songs for her. She seemed to enjoy herself even though she was tired. We went to my aunt's for a while, then drove home. When we were almost home, my cousin called to say they were taking Grandma to the ER with chest pains. Throughout the evening, it was obvious that she was headed downhill fast. So my dad drove through the night from CT to get there, and I left about 9 p.m. to drive up. She was largely nonresponsive, although she did squeeze my hand when we asked her to. She had a bypap helping her breathe and was wearing a DNR bracelet. We kept telling her my dad was on his way, to try to keep he with us until he could see her and say goodbye. The next morning, she was doing better, sitting up and wanting to talk. And four days later, she is supposed to be moving out of the ICU as soon as a room is available. Not the outcome any of us expected!
Then my cousin Jon's wife went into Magee today for an outpatient laproscopic surgery. It seems she aspirated some fluid during the surgery, had difficulty breathing, and ended up on a ventilator. Now she's in the ICU at Magee. Her doctors plan to wean her off the ventilator tomorrow.
I never thought I'd been in this many waiting rooms with the same family members in such a short period of time. And all during what I refer to affectionately as Christmas Concert Craziness. When it rains, it pours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ya, and I'm about dead--- guess who??