Sunday, February 20, 2011

Enjoying self-discipline

For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable. Hebrews 4:12-13

This year I decided to attempt reading through the Bible in a year. I have tried this before but quit for whatever reason. Well, it's nearing the end of February, and I'm still going strong. I thought this would be a difficult exercise in spiritual self-discipline. But actually, I'm enjoying it immensely. The quiet time to by myself whenever the boys are having down time has been so peaceful. And I don't feel guilty spending some time alone because I'm doing something worthwhile and productive. I'm finding it very different than Bible studies I've done in the past, where you focus more in depth on one theme or book, or a few chapters or verses. I'm reading a greater quantity of scripture, but I'm still getting something out of each day. If I stay on course, by the end of the year I will have read the old testament once, the new testament twice, psalms several times, and proverbs twelve times. I'm looking forward to that accomplishment and to see what God teaches me through it.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I have done this several times and am doing it again this year. After I read, I look at each passage again and look for a "Nugget" in each that I can glean just for myself. I find it quite rewarding! Keep up with the readings...even through the less interesting parts. It is SO worth it so see what God will teach you even in those passages. I'm proud of you for stepping up to this spiritual challenge. Love ya, Mom