Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Fire Tornado


Pretty much any time you watch national news these last few days, the coverage is almost exclusively of the wildfires in southern CA. This morning some firefighters were being interviewed about the dangers of fighting those fires. They discussed the phenomenon that the fires create their own weather patterns including fire tornadoes. I had never heard of this before. They showed video footage of flames of fire actually spinning around like a tornado, and apparently these fire tornadoes can go up to a mile high from the ground into the sky.

When I saw the video the first thing that came into my mind was God leading the Israelites through the desert. The Bible says He "guided them during the day with a pillar of cloud, and he provided light at night with a pillar of fire." (Ex. 13:21) It's one thing to imagine a pillar of fire or see a drawing in a book, but to see actual video footage of what it might have looked like was surreal. I don't know if God used a fire tornado to lead His people, but I would definitely say that a fire tornado sure looks like a pillar of fire.

No comments: