Monday, June 2, 2008

Have you ever asked yourself, "What was I thinking?"

I just got home from a trip to see my sister and brother-in-law in Kentucky to celebrate my niece's first birthday. Boy did that trip give me a lot to blog about. Here's the short list:
  • Driving a vehicle over 800 miles, and praying 7,987 times every mile that the thing wouldn't fall apart
  • Seeing suspicious drips of liquid form puddles every time we parked (and it wasn't just air conditioner condensation. More like an oily substance.)
  • Hearing sounds coming from under the hood every time I hit the brakes that sounded like a donkey playing bongos (hee-haw hee-haw bang bang)
  • Turning left to go straight (I think the van's out of alignment)
  • Feeling like the Israelites wandering in the desert for 40 years as we turned a 7.5 hour drive into a 9.5 hour drive
  • Feeling a little like Goldilocks - we stayed in two different places while we were down there due to rooms being booked, etc. One bed was too soft and one a little too hard. No bed is like your own!
  • Periodically giving Tylenol to Sam who decided to work on cutting a tooth during the big drive home
  • Pulling over to the side of the road and having a nice old gentlemen almost stop to offer help before he realized what was going on - just a toddler sitting on a blue potty. (This was only out of desperation, as we were nowhere near a restroom of any sort!)
  • Going to church and not doing anything - wow! weird.
  • Hearing/Seeing a train go through downtown five or six times an hour the entire time we were there. Isaiah loved it!
  • Went inside a caboose and Isaiah got to ring the bell. So fun!
  • Experiencing the best of Southern hospitality and a great Southern breakfast
  • Trying to manage two kids who are totally out of their routines - oy!
  • Three little cousins playing together - very fun!
  • Meeting my cousin's little boy, Ashton, for the first time - what a sweetie!
  • Trying to figure out cousin-type relationships. What is Ashton to Isaiah and Samuel? (Ashton's mom is my first cousin) Are they second cousins or first cousins once removed, and what is the difference?
  • An adorable, precious little girl who just turned one year old

Overall, it was a great trip, and once I fully recuperate, I'll look back on it fondly and be glad we went. =)

2 comments:

Shari said...

I'm still laughing about the little blue potty along the side of the road. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!

This is actually one of my worst fears once I get Connor potty trained.

Jessica said...

what a wonderful time you must have had...inspite of all the travel worries! you are a very brave mom to go all that way by yourself :)