We made these quick and easy sponge balls yesterday. I picked up a pack of ten sponges (enough to make three sponge balls) for $1. They literally took five minutes to make. Both boys picked what color of sponges they wanted to use. Isaiah was able to cut his own sponges. We used tie wires around the middle instead of dental floss. Super fun. I guess they're meant for outdoor water play, but the boys and Dan just ran around the house beaning each other with them. Provided a good 30+ minutes of fun last night. Nerd alert: We combined the sponge balls with our preschool level study of the skeletal system. I had printed out a child-sized skeleton, and the boys (mostly Isaiah) were learning what the major bones in the body are called. Once we had our goofy sponge balls, I had the boys throw their sponges at the skeleton's skull, rib cage, femur, phalanges, etc. Then the education dissolved into nailing each other with the sponges. Fun time.
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Sponge balls
We made these quick and easy sponge balls yesterday. I picked up a pack of ten sponges (enough to make three sponge balls) for $1. They literally took five minutes to make. Both boys picked what color of sponges they wanted to use. Isaiah was able to cut his own sponges. We used tie wires around the middle instead of dental floss. Super fun. I guess they're meant for outdoor water play, but the boys and Dan just ran around the house beaning each other with them. Provided a good 30+ minutes of fun last night. Nerd alert: We combined the sponge balls with our preschool level study of the skeletal system. I had printed out a child-sized skeleton, and the boys (mostly Isaiah) were learning what the major bones in the body are called. Once we had our goofy sponge balls, I had the boys throw their sponges at the skeleton's skull, rib cage, femur, phalanges, etc. Then the education dissolved into nailing each other with the sponges. Fun time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Love this idea...I'm totally stealing it :)
I'm also quite impressed that you know where femurs and phalanges are ;) hee hee
You have to steal it. Add the daddy factor and you have lots of fun. I think Dan had more fun than the boys. There's a better tutorial here: http://www.makeandtakes.com/wet-water-sponge-toys
Oh, and I remember some things from biology. =) And my trainer roomate. =)
Love this! Wish E and N had been there!!
Glad I could teach you something :)
Post a Comment