Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I survived today

By now you all know that I'm a binge blogger, so two posts in one day after a week of not posting shouldn't surprise anyone.
Let me tell you the story of my day.

My hands smell like bleach. In fact, the whole house smells like bleach. Why you ask? Because I sanitized and de-germified every last toy in the house today. I also sanitized every door knob and lightswitch and every handle on anything anyone's ever touched.

That's awfully ambitions, you say.

Why yes, yes it was, considering I had a back spasm yesterday and have been walking around half hunched over in a really pathetic way. In my opinion, based on today's events, not cleaning all the toys and the house wasn't an option.

Today I also held Sam while giving him a breathing treatment, which took about ten minutes of me trying to hold on to him while keeping the baby breathing mask over his nose and mouth. All the while, he was wiggling out of my arms, screaming, and crying with tears streaming down his little face. (At moments like that, you really question whether, as a parent, you are doing the best thing for your child. Is it really worth it?)

I was just following the doctor's orders. After an hour and a half doctor's appointment today, the doctor determined that Isaiah has one infected ear and Sam has two infected ears. Sam was also wheezing, which she said could be a sign of asthma.

This is the fourth antibiotic that Isaiah has been on in the last five months. It's the second or third antibiotic Sam's been on in the same amount of time. (Forgive me for losing track). Of course, every antibiotic is stronger and stronger.

I can only take so much of my kids constantly being sick. So I went ballistic (just ask Dan) cleaning everything possible. Dan even cleaned some mold/mildew we had on the bathroom ceiling in case that was making the boys sick.

Out of desperation, I emailed Kate. Kate who? Kate from John and Kate plus 8. I figured that, on the show, she's always answering emails, so why not? She used to be a nurse and has 8 kids. She must have some great ways to cut down on sickness at home.

So, that was my day, and I'm glad it's over.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh Heather! I know how you feel! (just one child less!). I have struggled to hold Hannah and the breathing mask for her treatments...even still it is a small battle. The ear infection/antibiotic cycle is so frustrating too. I always think "is this what we should do?"... "is it really an ear infection or are they just prescribing medicine"..."maybe we should have waited it out"..."maybe we should have gone to the doctor sooner". I understand your frustration with knowing what the right thing to do is...I admire your cleaning binge today too! (could you be hired for my new house??) :) Let me know what Kate has to tell you :). You and the boys will be in my prayers tonight!

Jennifer said...

I can't believe you e-mailed THE Kate :) I love that show. I am so curious to know if and when and what she writes back!!! I'm so sorry for your day. I HATE when they are sick. It is so draining on me. I worry to much as it is, but when they are sick it is 10 fold. You are all in our prayers for a restful night.

Anonymous said...

Please remember that my phone is available to you 365/24/7!!! Sometimes it makes it better to just talk about it. I pray you ALL sleep well and that tomorrow brings a brighter, saner day.
Love you,
Mom

Patty said...

Poor little Sam!
Keep us updated on both boys.
And also, I am dying to know if Kate emails back. Maybe John will weigh in, too.

Elizabeth said...

Oh no! Three ear infections in two little guys! What a good mommy to clean every last toy in the house! Have they been hanging around with lots of other little kids(camp, etc.)? I hesitate to say that little kids are way more germy than your house but it's prob true!

I wonder if Kate ever had ear infections times 6 or 8! Wonder what she'll say...she appears to be obsessive about cleaning so I'm sure she'll empathize with your day. If you have a free/quiet moment when you aren't collapsed on your couch see if you can tell me which antibiotics they are on...just curious.

You guys are in my thoughts and prayers!
love, E

L said...

You poor thing! I can completely relate with the breathing treatments - when Andrew was between 6 and 18 months, we had to do those stupid things so many times. Hang in there!

On a more positive note, that would be the greatest if Kate emails you - maybe you'll even be brought up when they do those "recap" shows and they talk about the fans and their emails, etc.

I'll say a prayer for you and your little guys. (And I guess the big one, too!)

Take care!
~Lauren

Shari said...

Unfortunately, unless we keep our kids in bubbles, I think they are destined to get sick over and over again. It's the nature of being out there with other people (and kids). Connor also is sick, although he doesn't have an ear infection. Started last night with a really high fever. The pediatrician said it's going around. Good to know we haven't been left out of the sick crowd. We like being popular here. :(

Hope Isaiah and Samuel feel better soon.