Thursday, October 23, 2008

Where's the line

As you may remember, I posted a list of nearly 100 books I want to read. I compiled this list for my own personal intellectual development. I want to fill in the gaps in my education and stimulate my brain. In the last few weeks I've read 1984, The Great Gatsby, and Things Fall Apart. I'm currently reading The Color Purple. This book has won the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award, and has been turned into a Broadway musical.
The Color Purple contains some disturbing elements. The first part of the book wasn't too terribly objectionable, but suddenly at about the half-way point, one of the main characters has started using the f word profusely. There have also been some unusual sexual occurrences and abuse.
Where is the line between educating myself and reading things that I really shouldn't? I'm starting to wonder if my book list is a worthwhile endeavor. I want to learn, but should I put restrictions on what I learn? I don't know the answer. I don't know if there is an answer.

2 comments:

Blake said...

You have a lot of good books on your list Heather. I would recommend reading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy next. I really enjoyed it. Actually, I would read all of the books in the series (I think there are 6).

Shari said...

The Color Purple is a must read. I know it's hard to get through, and the language and themes are objectionable at times, but honestly, this is a part of history, and there were people who had to endure that kind of abuse. I think we need to educate ourselves on just how back it used to be in order to make sure it NEVER comes to that again.