Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dental misadventures

The last few nights I have had a pain in my tooth bad enough to keep me from sleeping. I figured it's not going to get better on its own, so I decided to make a few calls yesterday morning.
I don't have a dentist in this area. You may remember my post from March or thereabout detailing my painful dental cleaning which was the first in seven years. We only went to that dentist because our insurance at the time would cover him. Well, we no longer have that dental insurance, so I called some dentists based on friends' recommendations. The first one I called only works MWF, the days I don't have anyone to watch the boys, so she was out. The second one I called wanted $172 for an initial patient visit, and that didn't even include a cleaning! My knees went a little weak when I heard that number and the rest of the prices were a little blury in my mind, but a cleaning was about $68 and required x-rays were about $105. Cha-ching! Wow. Dentists are expensive. So I called Wielechowski, the dentist who made national news for getting arrested for fighting in a hotel on his wedding night, because I figured maybe he didn't have much business! No one picked up the phone. Finally I tried Aspen Dental at Pittsburgh Mills and they made me an appointment for 9:00 am Thursday (today). I was to have a free initial patient visit and free x-rays. Seemed like a pretty good deal.

When Dan got home and we were talking about what we had to do tomorrow, he reminded me that I had lessons in the morning. Oh no! I double booked myself. So I was planning on calling in the morning to reschedule my appt.

Well, Isaiah woke up several times last night and felt like he had a low grade fever, so I decided to keep him home from school, cancel my piano lessons, and reschedule my dentist appt.

Oh well. You just never know how a day will turn out!

2 comments:

Shari said...

There is a dentist right at the end of my street (next to Renaissance Medical Associates and beside the community center). I went to him last year and he was great. It was $70 for a cleaning and $40 for the exam. And they did not require you to get X-rays (I refuse to see a dentist if they make me get X-rays). If you want his number, I can get it to you. They were all great there.

Ryan Hope said...

Maybe you weren't meant to go to the dentist today! Something bad could have happened!