Do you pray for peace? I desire peace, and I have prayed for peace. But I wonder if it's worth praying for. I'm not talking about the peace within your heart. God has promised that. I'm talking about the peace where people stop storming into luxury hotels to kill hundreds of people, where people stop strapping explosives to themselves, walking onto a crowded bus to blow themselves up.God hasn't promised that there would be peace on earth at this time. He has almost promised the opposite. As he told his disciples about what life would be like for them if they spent their lives telling people about him, he said, "Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." (Matt. 10:21-22) What does Jesus mean by 'the end?' The end of the disciples' lives? The end of the world? If He means the end of the world, it kind of implies that hatred among people will continue until that time.
So I will keep praying for peace, because that's what I want. Will I pray expecting God to answer with a 'yes'? I don't know.
1 comment:
I don't pray for peace anymore, because as you said, God never promised that we would have peace on the earth. But I do pray for strength for people who are placed in such terrible situations as the one in Mumbai. God never said life would be easy, but he did promise to always be with us. Just knowing that helps a lot. :)
Post a Comment