Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving eve gathering

Brace yourself people... this post actually contains some of my innermost thoughts... I'm letting you all in...


This is a little late, but I wanted to write something about our Thanksgiving eve gathering. I volunteered to organize the gathering because I felt that God had something special for us, as a church, on Thanksgiving eve. Turns out He had something special for me...

I tend to go through life at a fairly fast pace and sometimes have a hard time slowing down. As I went through the different interactive stations, I forced myself to go slow and take full advantage of the quiet time.

I really benefited from all the stations, but the one I couldn't leave was "Taste and See." This was set up at the front of the church, under the cross which hangs on the wall. It was based on the scripture from Psalm 34:8, "Taste and see that the Lord is good." I had baked gingersnap bread and put a floor pillow, some chairs, and a blanket on the floor. It was designed for people to relax and spend time with God, eating (an intimitate act), and thinking about how good He is. As I sat there for quite a while, eating the bread, tasting how good it was and realizing how much better Jesus is, I had a strong sense of Jesus's presence and a strong love toward him and a longing within myself to be with Him. It was supernatural and something I haven't felt that strongly many times before.

The mirror station also impacted me. As someone sat and looked in the mirror, they could fill out a sheet of paper with a chart comparing what they see when they look in the mirror with what God sees when He looks at you. I won't bother telling you what I saw when I looked in the mirror (it wasn't very positive and mostly had to do with getting older!), but I will tell you what I think God sees when He looks at me. 1) someone He has entrusted to raise two boys 2) someone He wants to spend more time with 3) someone He loves, and there were a few more, but those are the ones I remember.

Sometimes I think God gives us a job because we're the one who will benefit from it the most.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Very cool experience. Thanks for sharing!