Monday, October 26, 2009

Pumpkin painting

Fall is my favorite time of year, by far. This has been the most beautiful fall in Pittsburgh since I've moved here. We haven't had much wind or rain, so the leaves have had a chance to turn shockingly beautiful colors.
However, Halloween is my least favorite. The ghostly and ghoulish decorations bother me. I just don't like that dark side at all. I can definitely blame it on going to a Christian college where one prof in particular felt the need to educate his music students on the disturbing and dark history of halloween, including witchcraft, animal and child sacrifice, the history behind carving pumpkins, etc. Personally, I would rather Halloween just disappeared. Since that's obviously not going to happen, and we have two little boys, I want them to be able to enjoy the fun things about Halloween.
So this afternoon I had the boys fingerpaint on their pumpkins. It was the first time either of them had fingerpainted, and their reactions were priceless (see videos below). We're also planning on having them dress up, Isaiah as batman and Sam as a pumpkin, and go trunk-or-treating at a local church. I have good memories of Halloween as a kid, and I want my boys to have that too.



2 comments:

Katherine said...

They are so cute--Isaiah's face is precious! But I'm curious...what is the history of the carved pumpkin?

Anonymous said...

How cute, wish I could have been there. aunt janet