A few years ago at Eden we had a man speak in chapel who was the chaplain at LaRoche college. He was emphasizing that the kids should make good decisions by going to college and giving it their all, etc. He made a comment about girls who get pregnant during high school or college, outside of God's will, and how they're sidelined (on the bench, so to speak).At the time, I was offended by the comment. How dare he say that a mom is sidelined. God can use anyone, right? Of course He can.
But now that I am a mom of two little boys, I kind of understand where he was coming from. I do feel limited in the ministries I can participate in. Not only would I have to bring my kids with me (and all their kid stuff - toys, changes of clothes, diapers, etc.), but their bed time interferes with most evening ministries. And if I take them with me somewhere, I'll spend all my time watching them and taking care of them, and what good would I be to the ministry? Can I go on a mission trip right now? No. Can I start some huge, time-consuming program? No. Although I like to think of myself as 100% available to God to lead me wherever to do whatever, I know that those places are pretty limited now that I have a family. Now, I know God would not lead me anywhere that would cause me to neglect my family, because serving my family is my calling in this chapter of my life.
I just see my present ministry as being a wife and raising and taking care of my boys. I hope God will take me on grand adventures later in life.
3 comments:
Please, don't be discouraged in what little you think you can offer to furthering God's kingdom, Heather. Like you mentioned later in your post, right now God has called you to be a mother. That is a big task and you (and Dan) are doing a great job.
Very soon Isaiah and Samuel will be in school full-time and I'm sure God will call you to be of service in some other capacity.
I don't mean to sound preachy, and I don't know alot, but I think raising kids in a Godly manner is a great ministry. Keep it up. Who knows what God holds for your future.
I totally understand where you're coming from, Heather. As a mom (and I only have one little one, not two like you!), I find myself very limited.
What I've found hard is that most people, especially some older ones who have not had to deal with children for a long time, just don't get it. They don't understand how taxing and time consuming being a mother can be. And it does limit you. No one wants a screaming child in a church function.
For right now, you are doing what God has called you to do, so don't ever feel limited by that. It's a blessing to raise a little person and be able to help shape who they will become someday.
And like Blake said, one day, your kids will be in school and you'll have all the free time in the world to explore whatever else God has in store for you!
I know this comment is coming a little late but I just wanted to let you know you may be ministering in more ways that you are aware of. You know as well as I that being a young mother is hard in this day and age. When I see the way you raise your children and still walk so closely with God it reminds me that I don't have to follow the mainstream. It is so nice to know someone as authentic and caring as you. You help me to focus on what is really important in motherhood and I thank you so much for that.and don't ever underestimate you job as a mother, we have the power to change the future in huge ways.
Post a Comment