Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Mr. Roger's clone


Patty's blog post about amazing people reminded me about something I have been meaning to write about.

We had Missionfest 2008 at our church a few weeks ago. Our two missionaries were just great. Teresa Bill from the Republic of Congo told the best stories and had us laughing out loud. But Peter Marshall is the subject of this post. He was an older gentleman with an amazing sense of calm about him. He reminded me of Mr. Rogers - and I mean that as a compliment. On kids' night, he was a good sport and played right along with "Are you smarter than a missionary." You could tell he had a deep love for these kids that he just met. He had deeper compassion and concern for the people around him than anyone else I have ever encountered (and I know some very compassionate people).

On a personal note, after one of the services I was loading Samuel in his carrier. Samuel, as usual, was screaming because he despises being strapped into his carrier. Now, most people run as far as possible from a crying baby, and I don't blame them. I would too, but, well, I'm his mother. =) Anyway, Peter actually helped me get him loaded up and ready to go home. I was shocked and amazed. What a kind person. Talk about someone with a deep love for Jesus who shows Jesus' compassion to others. It made quite an impression on me.

2 comments:

Patty said...

He was indeed, a rare gem.

Blake said...

I loved Mr. Rogers! I met him once. My Dad used to audit family communications, the recording and publishing studio in Oakland/Shady Side that produced Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

I'm sad I missed his clone.