Wednesday, September 10, 2008

From an undecided voter in a swing state

I have been really into this election process. For the first time in my life, I feel like I have some understanding of the issues, where the candidates stand on the issues, and how the election process really works.
Also, although I am a registered Republican, I don't fully align myself with the party's beliefs. According to a survey I took yesterday, my beliefs fall on the Right side of Libertarian. Interesting.

All that aside, I had a thought yesterday. Romans 13:1-2 says, "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves." Therefore, I have total peace about our next president. God will place in authority whomever he needs to, in order to fulfill his purposes. Who I see as the best candidate may not be the one God places over me. And I'm ok with that.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Great point! Where did you find the survey?

Katherine said...

Fortunately, unlike the Christians living in Rome at the time Paul wrote the letter, we HAVE some say in who gets to be our leader. That is why I believe that Christians have such a serious responsibility to vote in this country; since we live in a time and place where we actually have power to influence government, we sure as heck better use it to further God's purposes. I don't mean that we should legislate morality, but we should certainly consider which candidate will most faithfully restrain evil (of every kind) and vote for that person.