Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Thinking about it...

In the book Wild Goose Chase Mark Batterson discusses a study a few years ago suggested that people "stop thinking about the lyrics of a song after singing it thirty times." It got me thinking about choosing songs for church. I do consciously try to balance the new songs with the old ones. It's not that I deliberately choose one hymn and three choruses or whatever. But I include the older, more familiar songs in the songs that I choose from. I choose based on Dan's message theme and God's leading. Mark's comment made me wonder if people really do think more about the words to newer songs, and thus worship God with their hearts and minds and not just their lips. Interesting. Just got me thinking.

2 comments:

Patty said...

I am always struck by certain lyrics no matter how many times I sing them. For example, "he sought me and bought me, with His redeeming love". I am in awe that He SOUGHT me let alone bought me! I have been singing that song for forty years or more. Still think about it.

HB said...

I agree. Amazing grace is one of those ones for me, "through many dangers toils and snares I have already come, tis grace has brought me safe thus far and grace will lead me home." Also Great is Thy Faithfulness, "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow."