Have you ever had this happen to you? You're having a conversation with someone, and you're thinking at that moment, "I am going to blog about this." Well, two weeks ago, during parent conferences, a fellow teacher who has been at Eden for quite a while, came across the hall to my room and noticed that I wasn't having a conference at the moment. She had to take a year off probably four years ago because she had breast cancer. She is an incredibly strong, wise woman. So she saw that I was reading a book and asked about it. I was reading the book Parenting is Heart Work by Turansky/Miller. I just told her that I was reading the book because sometimes Isaiah is difficult to handle, and this book talks about molding and forming a child's heart instead of just taking the behavior modification approach to parenting.
I told her that he is so energetic and talkative that some days it just about drives me crazy. Her advice to me was that God has already put a particular bent in Isaiah, and that I should try to see what that might be. She said maybe he'll be a lawyer, because he likes to ask questions, or a pastor, because he likes to talk.
I rarely think of what Isaiah will be like as an adult. I usually just try to get through the day-to-day. But she had a good point, that I should try to think more long term and help Isaiah realize his God-given potential.
2 comments:
Wow, what absolutely awesome advise. I so remember mass confusion when my 3 were young. It is difficult to see the forest for the trees!!
I think Patty is only referring to Beth and Jer, since I was perfect.
Heather, I was very inquisitive as a child and look how I turned out!
Post a Comment