Friday, February 26, 2010

Baking with boys

Today was snow day #6 of the school year. I certainly didn't anticipate being home today, but it was a nice surprise. I was flipping through March's edition of FamilyFun magazine and found these St. Patrick's day rainbow cupcakes. Unfortunately, I didn't have a white cake mix, so we just made it from scratch. Isaiah loves the mixer. He said, "Your mixer is on hyper-speed!" The things boys say! Then I had to make sour milk because I didn't have any buttermilk. While I was mixing the milk and lemon juice, the boys were drinking the lemon juice, straight. They were having a contest to see who could drink more. This is how boys like to cook. =) So we divided the batter into six bowls and used the amount of food coloring the recipe said in order to make the right colors. Here's the picture from the magazine.
Mixing the green...
And the red...
All the colors finished... then we layered the batter in the muffin tins, starting with purple and working our way up. (The little one started saying "purple" while were were making these.) We were careful with the layering so the colors wouldn't mix, but...
This is is how they turned out. A little... psychedelic?

You can see the colors in the middle... a little mixed up! Both boys thought the rainbow cupcakes tasted good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a great MOM!!!!!!!
Love Aunt Janet

B.W. said...

those are awesome!!!

Shari said...

Those look yummy!

Jessica said...

love it!! so cute :)

Katherine said...

um...wow...you were much more productive than I was during our (cough) three (cough) days being snowed in...