Today was Eden's first day of band. I knew the varsity soccer and volleyball teams had early dismissals for games, so I was only expecting about four kids to show up. I had tentatively planned to go over all the typical first day stuff (kids' info sheets, rules, get to knows the kids a little, tell them about myself, etc.) but I wasn't really going to do all that with four kids.To my surprise there were twelve kids who showed up including several promising new kids! There were at least three our four kids who were absent because of the games, so that makes for a pretty decent group.
I have had years where I only had flute, clarinet, trumpet, and percussion players. Those are all "high" sounding instruments, leading to a very unbalanced sound. This year I have a tenor sax player, two trombone players and a baritone player! I also have two flute players, three clarinet players, three alto sax players, one trumpet player, and two percussion players. I think I may be forgetting a few, but for a small band, it's pretty balanced!
The new kids seemed nice and there seemed to be a good atmosphere. The year is off to a great start.
No comments:
Post a Comment