Friday, September 26, 2008

On my mind...

I know I haven't blogged much lately. I haven't forgotten about all of you. There has been a lot going on, some things I can't really discuss on my blog.
Here's a quick summary:
  • Dan has accepted the position of director of the Lighthouse. This means a lot of major changes for our family. The biggest change to me is that we are leaving our church.
  • I'm realizing a complicated aspect of being in a pastor's family: You don't get to choose which church you attend. This kind of stinks because I really like Bakerstown. If I was in a different situation, living here, I would go to Bakerstown. I've never been comfortable at a megachurch. I want to be at a growing church where people know each other, yet quickly integrate newcomers. I have a deep respect for the Christian and Missionary Alliance. While other denominations are debating whether homosexuals should be a part of church leadership, whether scripture is without error, whether Jesus is the only way to receive salvation, etc, the Alliance is debating whether family church camp attendance should be "expected" or "required" for ministers. I don't say that to ridicule the C&MA. I say that to emphasize that the C&MA knows, without question, where it stands on the major issues. I'm not saying that I would never attend a church of another denomination. I'm saying that, given the choice, knowing what I know about the C&MA, I would prefer to attend a C&MA church. It's not that the people at other churches aren't nice or don't love Jesus. It's the church leadership that I might question, and the district and national leadership that I might question. And non-denominational churches? It just doesn't seem like there's much accountability there. This whole discussion became a whole lot churchier than I would have liked. I'm not a terribly churchy person. I believe in Jesus. That's all.
  • I turned 30 yesterday. In my head, I know it's just a number. But it's pretty hard to say the words, "I am 30." Is this what I thought 30 would be like? Definitely not. I feel so much younger than 30-year-olds always seemed to me. I think I'm in the best shape of my adult life. I'm getting more confident, caring less what people think about me. I still think too much about how people see me. But I'm getting better about it.
  • I had dinner with a new friend, Andrea, tonight. We both had our 30th birthdays this week, so we decided to go out to celebrate/lament. There was more celebrating than lamenting! Anyway, we had a great time at Atria's just talking and getting to know each other more.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I was starting to "wonder" where you were :). I agree about the whole church thing. Nate loves our church, but it is so big and impersonal. Plus they are so focused on reaching "unchurched" people (which IS a good thing) they neglect a lot of aspects of a church service that I enjoy. I have a feeling that someday we may leave for a church closer to home, but for now we are where we are :)

Ryan Hope said...

Great post by the way!! I must say I am an independant Baptist. Independant being the focus of this comment. We know where we stand on all the issues, and being a small, small town church, it would be rediculous for us to take "orders" or have someone who has never stepped foot in our county let alone our church make a decision about how we run it! It has worked great for us for 28 years thus far!

Patty said...

Happy for you guys, sad for us
You will leave a big hole

Shari said...

You're not allowed to leave. I'm putting my foot down! OK, I realize I have no say, but can I just say that the rule the C&MA has about you having to leave the church STINKS! IT STINKS! STINKS, STINKS, STINKS. OK, I'm done. For now. :)

As for the turning 30, just remember, that age is a state of mind. If you feel young, it doesn't matter what the calendar says.