Last week, there was a small patch of mud on our road. It really wasn't a big deal, but if you drove right through it, your tires might spin a little. Some of our neighbors up the hill have a bobcat and frontloader and some other man toys, and they often grade the road and smooth out the potholes. Well, on Saturday night, our neighbor was working on the muddy spot in the road for a few hours. It was dark, so we couldn't see what he was doing at all. Apparently he accidentally triggered a mini mudslide.On Sunday morning when we left for church, we were just shocked! The muddy ruts in the road were over a foot deep! We plowed through with our all-wheel drive minivan which bottomed out the whole way. Just what we need - to break our new minivan!
When we came home from church we ran into our other neighbor who was trying to smooth out the road. He apologized profusely and actually got the road to look pretty decent after a few more hours of working out there. The problem was that once two or three people drove through, it was a muddy mess again. This went on all day until our neighbor finally gave up.
Everyone has been parking at the bottom and driving up. Even Dan didn't drive up last night, so you know it's bad! When I walked up after picking Isaiah up from school yesterday, I was carrying him, and my feet were sinking in an inch or two into the soggy mud!
Today we managed to go to the gym. I was able to load the boys in the car, carrying one at a time through the mud. I took Sam over first, and the whole time he was yelling, "A-ya-ya!" That's how he says Isaiah. He was worried because Isaiah was standing there by himself.
One of our neighbors went over to the concrete plant, and it turns out that they are getting rid of a bunch of scrap concrete tomorrow. So they said we could take whatever we can use, but we have to get it today. So those guys have been out there all day filling in the road. All the guys from the neighborhood are down there helping. They said it should be done by this weekend. Yeah!
As a little side story, yesterday I went to GetGo in Wexford to get a car wash. My main reason for going was to get the mud off the undercarriage. When I pulled into the car wash, the attendant started hosing off the van. He said I better go through twice because the van was "really bad." He was really nice about it and said he just wanted to make sure the van got really clean. I felt kind of dumb doing it, but hey, if he's going to let me go through again for free, I might as well, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment