Sunday, June 28, 2009

1+1=3

So I've decided that the new math stuff they're teaching in school might actually be right. Various times over the last few days I have been treated to the privilege of watching just one of my boys at a time. I can't get over how much easier it is. Some of my friends who had two kids before I did warned me about this. Jennie and Fran said that having two kids isn't twice the work of one. It's three times the work.
I think I've realized why that is. The boys are at each other most of the time they're together. They're playing, which turns in to fighting. They're tackling each other. They're feeding hyper-ness off each other. They want the same toy. They want to watch different videos. They're demanding my attention. They're demanding something right now. I'm constantly running interference. When I'm with just one, the competition is non-existent. I don't have to divide my attention between both of them.

So Isaiah has been with Vern and Lorrie since this morning. Yesterday he had a temp of 102.5, and when that child is sick, he is a bear. We were supposed to go to camp with Dan today, but I decided to wait until Isaiah is healthy. So he wanted to stay overnight with Grandma, and she was willing to keep him. So Sam and I have just been hanging out all evening. He took a nice long nap, and then we ate dinner. Then he would alternate playing alone and wanting me to look at books with him. Very pleasant. He's like a different, calm child when Isaiah's not around.

Hopefully Isaiah will get better in a day or two so we can go up to camp. I'd like to be able to see Dan on our eighth anniversary - Tuesday!

2 comments:

Shari said...

Happy Anniversary (a little early!)

Katherine said...

Wow. Where did you ever find such a disturbing picture?