Saturday, August 9, 2008

Scary moment (and no, it doesn't have to do with the pool. I just thought this pic was cute)


Samuel had his nine month check-up yesterday. The nurse weighed him in at 18 lbs 7 oz on the baby scale. She looked at his chart with a concerned look on her face and had me weigh him on the big kid scale. He hadn't gained any weight since his six month check-up. When we got into the little room, she started asking me about his eating and I really didn't know what to say. It seemed like he was eating fine to me.

After the nurse left and I was waiting for the doctor, I started worrying about Sam, that he had some growth disorder and that he would need all these hormones or something. The exam room felt so small, hot, and stuffy all of a sudden. So I opened the door (apparently you are not supposed to do this as I kept getting weird looks from nurses and doctors) and Sam and I paced the hall until the doctor came in (about 30 minutes later...)

Once I had talked to the doctor about how active Sam is, she reassured me that Sam is doing fine. She said that it's normal for kids' weight gain to plateau between 9 and 12 months. She said since Sam is so active, he has hit his plateau a few months early.

Also, his lungs sounded clear, so as of now, he doesn't have asthma.

I asked her about the fact that he's not talking much yet. She said not to worry about it because I can get his attention and he seems to understand me, so he doesn't seem to have language problems.

When I got home around 4:00, Dan told me that Beth had extra tickets to West Side Story if wanted to go. So we had a mere three hours to line up a sitter, prepare and eat dinner, and head out the door. Lorrie came through and we made it to the Benedum just in time! Thanks Beth!

2 comments:

Patty said...

You may remember me saying that one time when I took Bethany to the doctor at six months old, they said "Mrs. Grubbs, your baby is not growing normally." Her weight was of concern. I shook from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. Turns out they really scared me for nothing. Doctors!

Shari said...

Connor didn't gain any weight for months when he was that age. And he ate like a pig! But he was also very active. Doctors like to alarm us for no good reason. I'm convinced of it!

As for the speech, I wouldn't worry too much yet. Trust me, because I've been there. Sam has all the normal inflection in his babbling that you'd expect to hear in a baby that age. He'll come along. Just make sure Isaiah doesn't do all the talking for him. I guess it's pretty common when you have an older sibling.