As you probably know by now, three police officers were shot and killed recently in Pittsburgh. One development in the story is that the 911 operator who took the call about the domestic dispute failed to inform the police officers that there were weapons on the property. Had they known this, they could have been much better prepared to defend themselves, and maybe this tragedy would not have happened.When I was pregnant with Sam, I passed out one morning. I was home alone with Isaiah, and when I came to, I was pretty freaked out and called 911. I specifically told the operator to have the ambulance cross the railroad tracks at the end of the road. I mentioned this several times and that our house doesn't show up on GPS. The ambulance took about 30 minutes to arrive, and we're only about 15 mintues from the nearest hospital. The paramedics apologized profusely saying that they couldn't find the house. Of course I asked if the operator had told them to cross the tracks, and they said that she didn't tell them that. Good thing it wasn't a life threatening situation!
Our 911 system needs an upgrade and maybe the operators need more training or accountability. I realize they take hundreds of calls per day, but for the sake of our residents, they need to increase their efficiency.
Regardless off the 911 situation, I think we're all reminded of how much these brave men and women are willing to sacrifice to protect us and maintain order.
2 comments:
As horrible as the events of that day were, I know it was all in God's hands. When good things happen, it's easy to say "it was God's will." But when stuff like this happens, we don't usually think that way. I'm hoping God will use this tragedy for some ultimate good.
I'm also not sure knowing there were weapons in the house would have made a lot of difference, either. If Mr. Poplawski was determined to kill, he would have found a way.
I know exactly what you're talking about!! Two weeks after my father's heart attack, he passed out (we actually thought he died at that moment). When on the phone with the operater I told her that he had had a heart attack two weeks ago (to the day), that he was conscious and breathing fine. We have a scanner so I was able to hear what they said when dispatching: 55 year old male, having a heart attack, in and out of consciousness and having difficulty breathing! The only thing they accurately stated was his age and sex!! I guess in this situation, saying the worst was better than down playing the situation though.
Post a Comment