Saturday, April 4, 2009

Night out

Tonight Dan and I got the rare opportunity to go out to dinner... alone! I looked through my Enjoy book, and we chose Miyako in Wexford based on the offer in the book.

We were seated with a family of five around a large grill. I would have preferred not to sit with a three-year-old who didn't want to eat (I can do that at home!) But they serve everything family style, so we just had to grin and bear it. First we had soup with mushrooms and sushi in it and salad with mystery dressing that was really good.

Then our chef came to our table and started flipping knives and stuff. He lit some onions on fire and started grilling shrimp and mushrooms for our appetizer. After he made some delicious rice and vegetables, he made steak and chicken. While he was grilling, he was sprinkling the food with various sauces, oils, and seasonings. Everything was absolutely delicious and the portions were perfect.

About a half hour after we finished eating, we were picking Sam up from Vern and Lorrie's, and my stomach started feeling iffy. By the time we got home it started making these weird growling sounds, and then I spent a good amount of time in the bathroom.

A few more trips to the bathroom, some imodium and tums later, I think the worst is over. What this all means to me? My digestive system has been too protected for too long. It's time to branch out!

The funny thing was that while we were eating, Dan and I were joking that Saturday nights probably aren't the best time to try weird food because of church the next morning. Fortunately for me, I think this wave of food rejection has passed quickly.

1 comment:

Shari said...

Was it weird, or was it bad? Seriously, if you ate anything fishy that wasn't cooked the whole way through, that would explain a lot. It's why you will never see me eat sushi.