Saturday, January 12, 2008

I tried something new today

Yoga. Actually, power yoga. Our gym was having a day where you could try some new classes. I met up with Beth and Erin who just happened to be there, and, after walking a mile on the treadmill, tried the power yoga class. It was in a heated room which was stifling at first, but after a while I didn't notice the heat. The instructor said that the room is heated so that while you're working out you sweat out toxins. Mental note: be extra hydrated before trying it again to prevent the lightheadedness that I felt at times. At first the workout wasn't too bad. But after repeating the same series of warriors, monkeys, up dogs and down dogs and whatever else, it started to get really tough. My arms and wrists hurt the most. And after having a baby, my abs are not nearly as strong as they need to be for yoga.
Some people say that Christians shouldn't do yoga or that yoga is new age. From my experience today, this class was purely a workout to add strength and flexibility to your body. There wasn't anything weird, except maybe that little candle flickering in the corner. =)
Anyway, it was a good experience, and it definitely took me outside my comfort zone.

No comments: