I've read a lot about potty training the last few days. There are so many different methods and there doesn't seem to be one 'right' way. Many people are starting to strongly question the method recommended by the American Pediatric Association, which is, basically, children will use the potty when they're ready, taking the initiative themselves. The problem with that is the average age that children are potty training is increasing every year, meaning that kids really aren't getting it on their own. See, kids have already learned to go in their diapers, so we have to re-teach them to go on the potty.Regardless of the method, the one overriding theme is consistency on the part of the parents. Now, I am the least self-disciplined person I know. It is not something that comes naturally, and I really struggle with it. So potty training Isaiah is teaching me something too. =) When the little egg timer goes off, we drop everything and put him on the potty.
While we're on the topic of self-discipline, Dan is one of the most self-disciplined people I know. He gets up when it's pitch black outside, and gets to church by 7:00 a.m. when it's still dark! He doesn't even have a boss who's making sure he's there on time. Of course, he says God is his boss, which is true. But it's still beyond my comprehension. When I was teaching, I had to be at school by 7:50 a.m. Usually I squeaked in between 7:52 and 8:05.
Anyway, I'm working on my self-discipline.
No comments:
Post a Comment