Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Tough questions

So Isaiah has been asking some tough questions lately. When he hears wind, he asks me if the trees are going to fall over. See, he knows from playing with blocks that tall things fall over easily. So I drew him a picture of the trees with roots, and he sort of got the fact that the roots hold on to the ground, so that the trees don't fall over.
Then the other day he was bummed that it was raining, so I said that rain is really good for the trees because it gives them a drink. Of course he asks, "How does it give them a drink?" So I had to explain how the roots absorb the water from the dirt. "Well, how to the branches get a drink?" Ok. This is going way back to 7th grade earth science. I really had no idea, so I just said that the water goes up the tree like you suck water up through a straw.

Then sometimes he quizzes me, like today in the car.

Isaiah: Does God ever choose the wrong person?
Me: The wrong person for what?
Isaiah: No, just, does God ever choose the wrong person?
Me: No.
Isaiah: You're right! Like on Gideon (veggie tales), they say, God never chooses the wrong person!
Isaiah: Does God ever make mistakes?
Me: No.
Isaiah: You're right!

He's only 3. I'd be lying if I said I don't dread how much more difficult the questions will get in the years to come!

No comments: