Monday, January 12, 2009

Keeping house

This is a phrase that has gone by the wayside. I learned it from my grandma. Sometimes when I'm talking to on the phone with her, she'll ask what we're up to, and I'll usually say that we're not doing too much. She'll reply with, "Well, just keeping house is more than a full time job."
I think the work associated with keeping a house going is often underestimated and under appreciated in our day. A messy house just ends up with a stressed out family who can't find anything and can't walk from one side of a room to another without stepping on something (in our case, toys!).

Most days, I just try to keep up with the never ending tasks, like laundry and dishes. Even that is tough while I'm busy occupying the boys. Occasionally I'll have the chance to wipe down the counters or table or (gasp!) vacuum. Honestly, vacuuming usually happens when there's some accident which results in a mess that must be cleaned up immediately. For example, Sam broke off the baby-proof latch that keeps the bottom of our hutch closed. Then he grabbed the sugar bowl that goes with my grandma's set of china and spilled the sugar everywhere. That was yesterday.

Some days I feel like I don't do much that's worthwhile. But then I remind myself - at least I'm keeping house, which is a pretty big job! And maybe my family is a little happier because of it.
Hmmm.... I wonder how much merry maids cost. =)

1 comment:

Shari said...

When you figure out an effective way to keep the house "kept" once you've done all that work, let me know. Seems like I no sooner clean up then things are a mess again.