
Ok. The middle name was kind of a joke. But unfortunately we did have to get Obi enthanized this morning. He had a uti a few weeks ago that resulted in a few not-so-cheap trips to the vet. Yesterday he was vomiting throughout the day, and he had a really rough night, roaming the house and meowing. Poor thing. Dan read that excessive vomiting in cats can be a sign of liver malfunction, so I was kind of prepared for the worst. I called the vet first thing this morning, and she determined that Obi had a full bladder and was unable to urinate, meaning he had a blocked urinary tract. At first I was happy, because that didn't seem like that big of a deal. But once they explained about the anesthesia, probing the urinary tract, chances of the problem recurring since he is a male cat, special canned cat food, the total came to $750. Wow.
I called Dan since I couldn't make the obvious decision by myself. Thankfully Dan was only five minutes from the vet and came right over. My mom had Isaiah for the night, so she brought him right over to say good bye. It was sad. Of course Sam had no clue what was going on. He just kept laughing and giving everyone kisses. I wonder if he'll realize that his dee-dee (how he says kitty) is gone. Isaiah seemed sad at the vet, but I think he is starting to grasp the concept of illness and death, so we'll see how he does with it.
Twinbrook sent Obi home in a lovely cardboard casket-shaped box. It was really sweet actually. Dan told me they'd probably just stick him in a garbage bag! Thank goodness he was wrong! =) Dan buried him in the woods beside our house.
Twinbrook and everyone who worked there was just so wonderful. They gave us as much time as we needed to get everyone together and say good bye. It was a great place to make a tough decision.
By the way, I had to include the first picture above. Have you ever seen a more pathetic picture?! It was real. In the second picture we tried to look a little happier.
2 comments:
I find that vet's definately make decisions like that easier. When we put our dog down they were really good about it, even sent us a sympathy card about a week later. We chose to have the vet "bury" him because we couldn't stand the thought of bringing him back. Actually we all said our goodbyes the night before and after we had all left for work, my grandfather (thankfully) came in the house and took him to the vet. My sincerest sympathies are with your family!
They'd never send him home in a bag. They even sent our stray cat home in one of those boxes. We'd jokingly referred to him as "other kitty" because we never named him since he wasn't a regular. So they put his name "Other Kitty" on the box and made a heart around it. They were really great there, so I'm not surprised they were good to you guys.
I'm sorry about Obi. It's hard to lose a pet, because they really are members of the family.
Post a Comment