Thursday, May 15, 2008

China and Myanmar

Every time I check the news I'm shocked by the developing stories on two major world catastrophies. First, the death toll from China's earthquake is expected to reach 50,000 soon. Yesterday I read that soldiers were sifting through rubble with their bare hands in hopes of finding survivors.

The other is the aftermath of the cyclone in Myanmar that is quickly becoming a humanitarian crisis. I just read that over 200,000 are feared dead there. My mind can't comprehend such numbers. And the junta is so afraid of the influence of the outside world, that at first they wouldn't accept any foreign aid. Now they've realized that they can use the aid to their own advantage and are not distributing it fairly.

Yet we go on in our daily lives with the sun shining brightly, enjoying the fresh blooms of spring while around the world catastrophic events have taken the lives of tens of thousands of people.

I feel guilty living out my normal day. But what can I do about those crises?

Don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying life, and I want to see my boys grow up, but on days like this where I'm reading about almost unfathomable catastrophies, I have to ask the Father, "How much longer will the earth go on this way? When will you come and put an end to the evil and suffering?"

2 comments:

Dan Borchert said...

dont worry our goverment is all over the NFL spygate saga. argh

Fran said...

"Even in the world today, it is often at the point where we are frustrated by the gap between fallen reality and our sense of God's desires that we are moved to action in a cause greater than ourselves." - John Ortberg in "If you want to walk on water, You've got to get out of the boat"

If your frustration moves you, you'd be surprised what you could do to help... Is God calling?