Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'm stingy on the compliments...

when it comes to weight.
Let's be honest. Most people, especially women, are sensitive about their weight. Some people make comments about your weight, just like they are stating a fact. Maybe a relative, friend, or spouse has said to you, "You've put on some weight." Why on earth would anyone say that? Are they trying to make you feel bad about yourself?

But the flip side can be just as destructive. Sure, you feel better after someone tells you you look like you lost weight. But I'm self-conscious enough that I'd really rather them not say anything about it. I had a friend of mine whose already-existing combination anorexia/bulimia may have been compounded by well-meaning friends who told her how great she looked since she lost some weight. Because of her situation, I very rarely tell someone that I've noticed they've lost weight. Only if I know that someone is intentionally eating well and exercising while trying to lose weight, will I compliment them about their weight.

P.S. Never ever EVER ask someone if they're pregnant, unless she's wearing a shirt that says, "Just the two of us" with a big arrow pointing to her belly, or "Due in October." =) Abraham Lincoln said, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Wise advice.

1 comment:

Shari said...

I had people tell me I was too fat when I was pregnant. I gained a grand total of 27 pounds during the entire pregnancy. :(

Similarly, after I finally managed to lose the baby weight after 2 years, my family started nagging me about how thin I was! It was worse than having someone tell me I was too fat when pregnant!

There are just some things you should never comment on, especially to women. They are weight, age, gray hair and whether we look well rested.