Thursday, December 13, 2007

One shirt?

Did you know you only need one shirt? Before I explain, think of your closet and your dresser drawers. If they're anything like mine, they're so crammed full that things wrinkle even when they're put away. And then I still can't find anything to wear! Do you know what I'm talking about? Well, I started reading the Christmas story in Luke 1 and just kept reading. I ended up in Luke 3, where John the Baptist is addressing the Jewish crowds. They ask what they can do to produce fruit. John replies, “If you have two shirts, give one to the poor. If you have food, share it with those who are hungry.” (Luke 3:11, NLT) Two shirts! Of course, John was talking to people in a different culture and a different time, but we can take something from his point. Most of us probably could take half of what we have and give it to someone who really needs it. We probably wouldn't even miss the things we gave away. I don't know about you, but I think I'll go through my closet today, and maybe the kitchen.

1 comment:

Dan Borchert said...

hmm...I think you on to something. I mean look what we did to Isaiah. The other day (after he was asleep) we went though his toys. We got rid of a bunch of them. He hasnt noticed yet :)