Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Picture of the Day

Last night I was getting Isaiah ready for bed, and he insisted on sitting next to Samuel while we read a few books. They just looked too cute for words. Life sure is a lot easier when the kids are getting along! =)
So I can't believe Christmas is in exactly two weeks. I haven't been out to stores very much, so Christmas doesn't seem that close. I made myself finish most of the Christmas shopping before Samuel was born because I knew it would be a lot harder after I had him. One thing I've been wrestling with is the place of Santa vs. Jesus in Christmas. I want my kids to know the true meaning of Christmas - the reason for the holiday in the first place, because that is the true miracle - Jesus coming to earth as a baby. In my family growing up, we did have presents from Santa, and it definitely didn't damage me. It was fun. Of course, there's always the moment when you realize the truth about Santa... Luckily I feel like we have another year to figure it out, because Isaiah's too young to know the difference. I doubt he'd sit on Santa's lap, because he's usually scared of things like that. Anyone want to weigh in on Santa?
P.S. I'm working on my Best of 2007 list. Keep checking back.

6 comments:

Blake said...

That picture is adorable! As far as Santa goes, I don't think its a big deal either way. My parents never really stressed the Santa thing. It was kinda like, if we bought it, fine, if not, no big deal. The real reason is Jesus anyway. Personally, I always liked celebrating Jesus' birthday better. Santa may or may not have brought presents, but with Jesus, we always got birthday cake!

Katherine said...

And then there was me... the pathological Santa addict who just REFUSED to let it go!! Hahaha.

HB said...

And we had to pretend FOREVER! I could have put and end to the whole thing if I hadn't told mom about the jingle bell idea you got from the Polar Express book. But you were so cute and innocent that I just had to keep it going.

Katherine said...

yeah, it would have been even cuter if I wasn't 13 at the time! :-) No, I don't really remember when that was. Ya'll were good sports though!

Katherine said...

The fact that they found an actual silver bell is pretty impressive, don't you think?

Patty said...

I like Blake's thought, not to make a big deal out of it. I wish we would have started the 3 gifts only thing when my kids were little ~ to stand for gold, frankincense and myrhh. I'm sure they are glad we didn't :) That is one other way of bringing Jesus into Christmas and the reason for presents. I am sure you and Dan will make good and wise decisions.