Sunday, December 23, 2007

Ringing the bell

On Friday I rang the bell for the Salvation Army. I had never done it before, but I think I'll do it every year in the future. I was surprised by everyone's generosity. Almost everyone who walked by put something in the kettle. Age didn't seem to matter. Little children, teens, and people in their 20's, 30's, 40's etc. donated, including a man who told me he was 91 years old! I was singing while ringing the bell, and when the 91-year-old man came over I happened to be singing "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear." He told me that he knew that song when he was a child. I inferred that he used to go to church when he was younger but did not attend any more. I encouraged him to go to church on Christmas Eve. He agreed that it would be a good idea but didn't really say he would go. He said the worst thing about living to be 91 years old was that all his friends were gone. How sad. He just seemed like a nice, lonely man. So who knows. Hopefully he'll attend a Christmas Eve service and meet Jesus. Wouldn't that be great?

1 comment:

Katherine said...

It's so cool that you rang the bell this year. Good job!