Friday, April 4, 2008

And the award for worst mother of the year goes to...

me! Thursday night around 9:00 p.m. I checked Isaiah's school calendar (he goes to a two-year-old preschool on Friday mornings) because I wanted to see if this Friday was the day he was supposed to bring his favorite book to school. It was. Then I looked closer at the small print. It said, "Happy Birthday Isaiah." (First panicky realization) Oh no! Since Isaiah's birthday is in the summer, his teacher had said that he would have his birthday sometime in the spring. Suddenly, I realized that I had to come up with snacks for the whole class (10 kids). If I had realized ahead of time that it was going to be his birthday party, I could have come up with some creative, delicious, healthy, fun snack. I could have googled "fun birthday snacks." I probably would have incorporated trains somehow, since that is Isaiah's two-year-old obsession.

Instead, I went to Giant Eagle, bought the first easy bake pre-mixed tube of goo I could find. I also picked up this can of icing (kind of EZ-cheese style of a can) that came with its own tips. I came home, threw the cookies in the oven, and tried to think of what to draw or write on the cans. (This story is getting long...) I couldn't figure out anything good, so I just wrote "I" (for Isaiah) on each one. Poor kid.

So the next morning, I sent Dan and Isaiah off to school with his cookies. Dan called me shortly after dropping Isaiah off and said that someone else already had cupcakes there. What? I knew there weren't two birthdays on the same day. (Second panicky realization) Oh no! Today's not April 11th! It's only the 4th. Will the kids all have a sugar high? What will the teacher do? (I talked to the teacher when I picked him up, and she was fine with it.)

Aack.

All I can say is that I really tried. And Dan and I decided that this is why kids need to go to preschool. So we parents can figure out how to do this whole school thing. (And no, teaching for 6 years didn't help at all.)

=)

5 comments:

Fran said...

That is absolutely hilarious. Thanks for the laugh! Just think you can now google "fun birthday snacks"

Patty said...

I totally relate. I have a half dozen stories of similar panic. I still have nightmares about missing school deadlines for the kids. I'm so happy I've graduated!

Jessica said...

I laughed out loud about 20 times reading this! I could sense the same feelings you were having in myself! Maybe this will be a reminder to me "not to forget", but I'm sure I will :).

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

I just loved this story! I actually thought your cookies were a great idea considering what time you realized what was going on. But then to read that you had the wrong week... that was just too funny. I can't wait to hear what fun birthday snack you come up with for this week, now that you've had time to prepare!!! :)