There's a verse that Dan used in his sermon last week that has been sticking with me. It's Phillipians 2:4, "Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." It seems so simple and basic, but how often do we make our own interests a priority, forgetting about the needs of others? There have been a few times in the last two weeks that I have been in that moment of decision (you know that moment where you really don't feel like doing the right thing, or the best thing, and you just want to take the easy way out?), and that verse has come to mind. It has been the kick in the pants that I sometimes need to convince me to do the right thing.Also, the verse before that one struck me. Among other things, it says (in the New Living Translation), "Don't try to impress others." Wow. How often do we make decisions based on what will impress someone. How often do we share what our kids are doing or something that we accomplished with the goal of impressing someone? How freeing would it be if we could stop trying to impress people? Thinking about this verse has really helped me examine my motives. Before I say something, this verse will come to mind, and sometimes I'll just keep my mouth shut.
No comments:
Post a Comment