I've gone to church all my life and tend to accept many things about the church without thinking about them. But lately God has given me the ability to see things as an unchurched person might see them. Two examples:1) On Sunday we sang a song that said about God: "be magnified." What. With a magnifying glass? =) You have to admit that it sounds kind of weird. I mean, we used 'magnify' to mean 'glorify' etc. But try to see it through the eyes of an unchurched person. Here's another one:
2) God wants to 'use you.' We think, "Great! Awesome! God can use me!" An unchurched person might think it's not such a great thing to 'be used.' When your friends use you, it's not such a great thing. People can use you for financial gain, to climb the corporate ladder, or to make friends with someone else. In general, it has a negative connotation. Now, I was thinking, if someone feels they have no purpose in their life, the thought of them being able to be used by God could be well received.
So, those are just some thoughts I wanted to share, especially for those in ministry or those talking to unsaved friends.
2 comments:
I've never liked the phrase "being used by God"!! It gives me the feeling that God considers human beings as means to an end, not ends in themselves. Clearly, God made us in Him image--that means that we are not just tools to be "used" by Him!
Think of the song Jesus Calls us O'er the Tumult. What exactly is a tumult anyways. I've been a CHristian a long time, sang this song before and I really have no idea. Anyway, In someways every profession has its own lingo. Doctors use abbreviations that no one understands unless you are one. Little Caesar's said One Pep when I ordered the other day. Of course it was a pepperoni pizza, but still a different lingo. But you are right we do have to look at our words and define them every once in a while. It's good to actually explain why we do certain things in church even, so people remember and new people know. Good thoughts!
Post a Comment