Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Piano Tuning

I finally got my piano tuned today. (It was my birthday gift from my mom, Katherine and Matt... My birthday is in September.) Push came to shove when one of my piano students was having a hard time playing her recital song last week because my piano had a sticky key.
In order to fix the key, and check for other sticky keys, the piano tuner had to take all the keys off. I knew the keys came off a piano, but I guess I thought that they came off in one big piece. That's not the case. Each individual key comes off separately. I was a little concerned that the keys might not all go back on in the right order. He explained that for my brand of piano, which is an older, American-made piano, each key will only go in one place in one piano. And just in case, they're all numbered. =)
Yes, I did kind of feel like a dork taking these pictures, but I've played piano for 20 years(hard to believe... I'm getting old), and have never seen anything like this!


Isaiah kept pointing to all the tiny pieces inside the piano, wanting to know what they're all called. Bill loved talking to him and kept saying, "This is such a fun age." What a great guy.
So if anyone's looking for a piano tuner in the Pittsburgh area, I'd highly recommend Bill Glesner at A-1 Piano Tuning. (The last time he tuned my piano, Dan asked him how he chose the name for his business. He said, "Simple. It's the first one listed in the phone book." So simple, it's ingenious.) He'll show up with a brief case filled with tools that look like they were made in the 1800s. He uses mostly a tuning fork and his ears, and does a great job.

No comments: