Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Snuggie has arrived

Dan ordered a Snuggie for me as one of my Christmas gifts. It was on backorder and didn't arrive for Christmas, so Dan printed out a picture of one and gave it to me with a note. Now, I had never heard of one. Apparently I am the only person in the country who hadn't heard of it. It looked pretty nice... kind of Jedi knight-ish.

The day after Christmas when we went to Dan's parents' house to open gifts and eat dinner, somehow we got talking about the other gifts we got. Everyone laughed and thought we were kidding when we said Dan got me a Snuggie. I think it was that night when I first saw the infamous commercial. WOW. What in the world? Wear it to a sporting event?! Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... thanks honey. So it has been a source of jokes between Dan and me since then.

Well, yesterday Dan came home, holding something behind his back and said, "I got you a present." Now I have learned NOT to get excited at this point. His "presents" are... well... usually freebees or something else strange and unusual. But he said my Christmas present had arrived. Ok. So I bravely opened it up and looked at it. I had no idea how to put it on. Turns out it's like a robe but the opening is in the back. After trying out and wearing my snuggie a little I have realized:

1. One size does NOT fit all. Mine is about 6-8 inches too long requiring me to have quite a bit of grace when I wear it. When I walk I have to lift up the side/front elegantly like I'm wearing a gown or wedding dress with a train... in the front. Dan says you're just supposed to wear it sitting down. Ok...

2. Last night I was making an applesauce spice bread and noticed that those big loose sleeves are pretty inconvenient when baking. They kept dragging and I kept pushing them up... also too long.

3. It is pretty warm when you're sitting down. It's basically like having a fleece blanket on, but your shoulders and arms stay warm, too! If you get up, you might notice a cold rumpus, as the opening is in the back, just like in the doctor's office.

So I'm going to have my mom make a few alterations: sew the back closed, and shorten the length and the sleeves. I might have her make the extra length into a belt, so it's more figure flattering... Then it should be perfect. =) Hehe.

So it's kind of goofy but pretty awesome.

7 comments:

Ryan Hope said...

Haha!! I am so proud to know someone who owns a snuggie!!

timollie said...

so you're going to turn the snuggie into a bathrobe?!

HB said...

If you take your bathrobe and put it on backwards, you basically have a snuggie. But aside from a few minor alterations, I'm keeping my snuggie just how it is. =) Hehe.

Katherine said...

Matt and I both laughed so hard when I read this post outloud! But how are you going to get into it if you sew the back together?

HB said...

I think I'll just slip it on over my head... It may result in some static hair, but I have to do what I have to do! I would post a picture of me in my snuggie, but I'm not sure the world is ready to see me looking so awesome.

Blake said...

You Got a Snuggle? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Patty said...

The Snuggie has been a topic of numerous conversations at work and at home. Is yours red? Do you look like a Cardinal from the Catholic church in it? Heather, if you sew it up the back you are disrespecting the Snuggie!! Don't do it! Be a purist!