I can't believe Jaime blogged about gray hair! Just on Tuesday night I was looking at that exact same scripture about gray hair, Proverbs 16:31 "Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained by living a godly life." I was trying to think of how that verse applies in our American culture today and to me personally.It seems that, according to the Bible, I should be proud of my gray hair. I should see it as a reward for living a long (is 29 years considered long??), Godly life.
What message am I getting from the media and Hollywood? Are they proud of gray hair? No. The message I get from them is that the way to look beautiful is to look young. Actors even go to extremes like repeated plastic surgeries, botox, etc., to maintain a youthful look.
What message am I getting from the older women in my life? Not many of them have gray hair, because they have chosen to color their hair. I guess that means that they don't see gray hair as something to be proud of. Are they influenced by the media? Or should it just be a personal decision?
So does the whole gray hair thing matter? Is it one of those cultural things that doesn't apply now, like how women in the New Testament weren't supposed to wear braids and jewelry? I don't know. I can't figure it out. But it won't be long until I have to make a decision for myself.
4 comments:
oh wow! that is a great point! I was made aware of the gray hair issue when we saw Marcie at Christmas...she commented on having gray hair already. I was shocked and thought that I should start looking closer at my own cause maybe I had missed it! :) I look at myself and think that I might be getting "wrinkles" already...Thanks for the reminder from the Bible that gray hair (and maybe wrinkles!) are godly! :)
I know we all know this but there are people in countries that don't even have a word in their language for hair dye and will go through their whole lives without it and yet still be happy. We have much to learn from countries and people who live with much less than we do. Imagine using the money used on hair dye to help the homeless... I wonder what other things are like that.
probably as long as i have access to the free hair dye that gets donated to the lighthouse for homeless people... i will continue to dye my hair!
I have been gray since I was 25, so Miss Clairol is my best friend. Isaak thinks I'm insane and that I should just go gray, but that's easy for him to say, because he doesn't have any gray hair.
I know what the Bible says, but I'm just not ready to be wise yet! :)
Post a Comment